The Vienna Philharmonic Society, founded in 2016, is a New York based non-profit organization that supports and celebrates the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra and works to extend its performances across the United States. Through a variety of educational programs with our partner, The Weill Music Institute at Carnegie Hall, including Master Classes for advanced students and music events for children in the community, the Vienna Philharmonic Society helps the Orchestra maintain a meaningful presence in the cultural life of New York and cities throughout the country.
Our mission has 3 facets:
- To aid in the continued presence of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra in the cultural life of New York City and across the country. The Orchestra ‘lives’ in Vienna, but is very much a world icon and institution and considers New York City its second home. Our goal is to introduce the Orchestra to more cities across the United States and bring the Viennese sound and their 100+ year commitment to music education to these communities.
- To facilitate educational opportunities between the the world class Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra musicians and aspiring musicians from New York City and around the United States. These interactions will include, but are not limited to:
- Master Classes with principal musicians of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. To date, the classes have focused on the flute, clarinet, cello, violin, trombone and trumpet.
- A String Orchestra Workshop with high school and conservatory musicians with members of the Orchestra.
- A Side by Side event with musicians from conservatories and former National Youth Orchestra members and approximately 40 members of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
- Attendance at Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra rehearsals in Carnegie Hall
- Fellowships for Graduate level musicians with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra in Vienna where they will be mentored by an Orchestra musician, receive instruction through Master Classes with principal musicians, attend VPO rehearsals, participate in chamber music groups with musicians from the Orchestra and immerse themselves in the culture of Viennese music and the Vienna sound.
- To foster the positive impact of participation in the making and enjoying of music on education and social responsibility. We share the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra’s belief that they, and music in general, can act as a bridge between people. Music is an experience that can transport us across our many differences to make us more aware of what we share than what divides us.
We hope you will join us in our efforts to grow and to share the commitment of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra to make a positive impacton the lives of others.